Whenever that winter lurgy starts making its way through friends and family... this is my go to cure. Flavour wise it might seem a bit bizarre at first. But taste isn’t the primary objective here its health. Each ingredient chosen for its natural medicinal properties and whenever I’m under the weather, a day of drinking this always has me feeling better. In an age of antibiotic resistance and the over prescription of medicines; it’s never been more important to look for natural remedies. So approach this recipe from the perspective that it’s a real immune boost and I’m sure you'll love it. When the balance of ingredients is harmonious it really is delicious.
• 30g of thinly sliced fresh ginger (about two thumbs in volume)
• 15g fresh grated turmeric (or a heaped teaspoon of powder)
• 6 sprigs of lemon thyme
• A slice of lemon or two
• Heaped teaspoon of honey
• A pinch of dried chilli flakes as hot or mild as you like
• Few turns of black pepper and a pinch of sea salt
1. Heat the chicken broth until it boils, then turn off the heat and add the other ingredients.
2. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes with the lid on. Taste to check the balance of flavour works for you. For me it’s getting the honey to lemon ratio right. But you might like a twang more chilli or a few more sprigs of thyme.
3. Enjoy hot.
it's particularly soothing for the throat.