Sweet Potato Soup with Crispy Bacon
Complimenting and upgrading your soup with the liquid gold of bone broth will make you never go back to just water alone.
Food is all about supplying the body with nutrients enabling us to function at our best by providing available energy. The thing is, energy only works if it's in the presence of 22 nutrients needed to make energy in the first place. That is why it is so important to incorporate an array of nutrient-dense ingredients. Bone broth does that with its rich amino acids and minerals which help support the body to function at its best.
Nose to tail eating and utilising the whole animal is not only more sustainable but also more human and respectful to the animal which has sacrificed its life for us. It is no wonder that nose to tail foods are one of the most cherished foods on this planet.
Soups are a great vehicle and method of incorporating and boosting our nutrient intake with bone broth. Sweet potato with its sweetness combined with the saltiness bacon is a warm winter winner soup. You could add a drizzle of coconut milk on top or cream for extra points.
This recipe is 30 minutes from start to finish, crisp the bacon and render its fat, then soften the vegetables, add the broth to further soften sweet potato, then blend to a silky smooth consistency and garnish with the crispy bacon and a drizzle of coconut milk and parsley leaves.
Time: 35 minutes
4 rashers of streaky smoked bacon - finely chopped
1 tbsp ghee
2 sweet potatoes - peeled and cubed
1 red onion - finely diced
2 garlic cloves - finely diced
1 pouch of chicken broth
½ tsp salt
fresh parsley leaves
a squeeze of lime juice
1. Set a wide deep saucepan or pot on medium heat and add the ghee.
2. Next, add the bacon pieces. Keep stirring them to prevent them from burning.
3. After around 5 minutes they should be ready. Remove with a spoon but try to keep the leftover bacon fat/grease in the pan.
4. Add the onion and garlic and soften them for 3 minutes. Then followed by the diced sweet potato.
5. Allow to colour for a minute, then add the bone broth.
6. Bring to the boil then put the lid on and then reduce to a low simmer.
7. Cook for 20-25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are softened, check with a fork.
8. Transfer everything to a blender or use a stick blender to blend until you reach a smooth silky consistency.
9. Pour equally into bowls and sprinkle the crispy bacon evenly across. Drizzle the coconut milk, garnish with parsley leaves and season with salt to taste.